It’s pretty easy to cross the line from menswear-inspired to just plain dressing in drag especially if you are wearing button down shirts (which is usually oversized and baggy), and once you cross said line, you quickly go from sexy to dowdy and just a tad confused-looking Mens fashion.
It’s pretty easy to cross the line from menswear-inspired to just plain dressing in drag especially if you are wearing button down shirts (which is usually oversized and baggy), Be Careful In Wearing Button Down Shirts and Other Menswear Inspired Fashion Articles and once you cross said line, you quickly go from sexy to dowdy and just a tad confused-looking. But we’ve been hugely in love with menswear-inspired womenswear for a while now, so get ready for a whole lot of tricks and ideas to style it. In this article, we will particularly discuss how to style your button down shirts whether it’s just a shirt or a shirt dress.
• When wearing leggings or even some jeggings with your button down shirts, make sure that your bum is fully covered at all times as otherwise people may catch a glimpse of your underwear line! This definitely takes away the appeal of the shirts or shirtdress so please avoid it.
• If your shirtdress is not fitted it is a good idea to wear a belt with it. Although you may think that a non-fitted shirt makes you look thinner, that is actually not the case and a belt will actually make you look better, especially if you have curves.
• Wear the belt under your bust area.
• If you choose to wear a belt, make sure that it suits your body shape. Generally, thinner belts look good on those with a bigger build while smaller women look great in the thicker belts.
• Be careful about your footwear choice as it can often make or break you!
• Don’t wear socks, especially in another colour, with leggings and flats.
• Do not over accessorize (i.e. thick belt, bright scarf, and a loud necklace.)
• Don’t buy into the lie that bigger girls can’t go for this trend! This style can look just as beautiful on plumper bodies. In fact, the more curves the better as the shirtdress with a belt really accentuates that body feature.
• If you’re just starting out, try a wool short instead of full-on wide-leg pants for button down shirts. Make sure they’re not too short– slouchy and at least mid-thigh is a good rule of thumb– or you’ll just look slutty.
• If you do something simple like roll up the sleeves a couple times and add a girl tie and maybe a chunky cuff bracelet to make it a bit more playful – it would make the out more exciting. You can also pick a somewhat sweet blouse that has built-in detailing. The bow at the neck is adorable and would look great with a brooch stuck through the center. Bonus points if the brooch is vintage.
• Ditch the flats for killer heels with a manly twist. And, of course, you’ll need some opaque tights to keep from looking like a moron wearing tights in the winter.
• You’ll want your bag to skew towards the masculine side of feminine like some pouch handbags with something fairly solid with heavier details.
So those are some tips on how to wear button down shirts and other menswear inspired fashions without looking like your grandfather or boyfriend. Remember, it is menswear inspired but you still need to look very elegant and sexy.